Although dictation microphones and digital voice recorders both rely on advanced audio technology, they work differently, and therefore perform different functions. Understanding these differences will help you select the best system for your dictation workflow.
There are common devices used in different industries, however, your specific preference and environment are the largest variable in choosing what product is best for your needs. Let’s look at some specifics:
Our line of Dictation Microphones (Rec Mic II) are designed for desktop dictation. The RM-Series microphones are USB powered and made for “plug and play” use, integrating seamlessly into workflows with quick and easy installation and setup on any computer.
- The type of device mainly used for “front-end” speech recognition
- Needs to be connected to a computer (limited mobile use)
- Usually paired with speech recognition software for immediate transcription to a file, eliminating the cost and delay of sending out for transcription
- Allows speakers to check their notes at the time of recording
Digital Voice Recorders are portable devices designed specifically for professionals who need to dictate on the move. Our DS-Series recorders feature superior accuracy, durability, and security, for high quality recordings to simplify and enhance workflows.
- This device can be used with “back-end” speech recognition
- Used in situations where you are saving a file to be transcribed later or may need to dictate in a variety of different locations and settings.
- Highly mobile; can change desks or locations easily
- Although many business professionals find digital voice recorders to be a valuable tool, they are the preferred dictation solution for legal and law enforcement.
Microphones for Desktop Dictation across Business Segments
- Dictation can save time and create efficiency by transcribing notes
- Track ideas while working at a faster pace
- Integrates with a variety of speech recognition software programs
- Wired USB is simple to connect and configure
- High quality dual microphone recording so suppress unwanted background noise
- Some microphones, like the Olympus RM-4015P contain internal memory, to carry files or software from one computer to another.
Microphones for Medical Practices
- Well suited for medical providers dictating directly into an EHR.
- Fluency DirectTM for Practices is a cloud-based software program that pairs perfectly with our microphones for small to medium sized medical practices.
How Fluency Direct Works
- Allows clinicians to conversationally create, edit and sign clinical notes within EHR templates
- Combines the power of Olympus and M*Modal to create a complete speech recognition solution that works with more than 120 EHR systems, including all major platforms, to meet the goals of faster user adoption (compatible with Epic®, Cerner®, athenahealth®, MEDITECH®, Allscripts®, eClinicalWorks®, Greenway Health™, MEDHOST®, McKesson, and many more)
- With an automated install process, the system is designed to run in a number of different EHR, PC, thin client, and server architectures with limited IT resources required
- Uses an integrated speech microphone, the Olympus RM-4010P designed for speech recognition, that delivers accurate results
- Superior speech recognition accuracy—driven by machine learning, based on the collective voice profiles of over 200,000 clinicians—enables better documentation
- Increases EHR adoption and utilization to meet Meaningful Use standards
- Highly popular for dictation in radiology and gastroenterology
- Enables practices to qualify for higher reimbursement
Digital Voice Recorders for Lawyers and Business Professionals
- Portable handheld recording devices allow attorneys to dictate on the go
- Dictation management software automatically routes recordings into the firm’s workflow, either to a transcriptionist, directly into speech recognition software, or a combination of both
- Can easily be integrated into the workflow of any law firm and significantly streamline data sharing and distribution of audio assets between lawyers and staff resulting in exceptional ROI.
- Olympus recorders are engineered to keep critical recordings safe and private— enterprise security is one of the core elements of the Olympus Pro Dictation solution.
- Security features include 256-bit file encryption and four-digit PIN locking of the ultra-portable DS-9500 Digital Recorder and advanced features built into ODMS software.
Digital Voice Recorders for Law Enforcement
- A quality recorder is an essential tool for police detectives and law enforcement personnel for gathering evidence, recording traffic violations and interrogating suspects
- Interviewing victims, suspects, and witnesses is a complex process, and accuracy is of utmost importance
- Olympus Pro Dictation Systems and digital voice recorders create efficiencies out on patrol and also in the courtroom with complete, end-to-end solutions for law enforcement agencies of any size
- Systems are easily be integrated into the workflow of any agency and significantly streamline data sharing and distribution of dictations between investigators and witnesses, especially when deployed by a certified dealer partner
- Engineered to keep critical recordings safe and private, Olympus Pro Dictation voice recorders offer 256-bit file encryption, four-digit PIN locking, and other advanced security features found in both the DS-9500 and DS-9000 Digital Recorders.
Talk to your Certified dealer about whether a microphone or a voice recorder is better for your business. Either way, you will be getting a dictation solution that works as hard as you do.